“Great quotes inspire us to change, to grow, and to become our best selves.”
So let me share my favorite quotes from David Levithan’s Boy Meets Boy.
- We found out a long time ago that we weren’t meant to fall n love with each other. But a part of me still fell in hope with him.
- “How come I’ve never seen him before?”, I ask. “Maybe you were just waiting for the right time to notice,” Tony says.
- With some break-ups, all you can think about afterwards is how badly it ended and how much other person hurt you. With others, you become sentimental for the good times and lose track of what went wrong.
- “Who I am to approve or disapprove? If she’s happy, then good for her.”
- I wonder if it’s possible to start a new relationship without hurting someone else. I wonder if it’s possible to have happiness without it being at someone else’s expense.
- “I guess that’s the danger with firsts– you lose all sense of proportion. So I made a fool of myself, even though I didn’t realize it at the time. I was so devoted to him.”
- “I’m not worried about her being alone. I’m worried about her being lonely.”
- We’ve also been kissing like crazy. Hours pass and we don’t notice. We have all the time in the world because it feels like, for once, the world is giving us the time we need.
- “He loved me, then he loved me not. Now he needs me. I’m sure pretty soon he’ll need me not.”
- “Someday, your prince will come,” I assure him.
- “We all know love makes you do stupid things.”
- “I mean, I know you’re not going to hurt me, but at the same time I don’t want to throw myself into a place where I can be hurt.”
- But I hadn’t expected her to make me invisible. She knows that’s the thing that hurts me the most. So from her, it destroys me.
- ‘More than friends’ makes no sense. Look at us. There’s nothing more than us.
- Now, “it’s a free country” has to be the lamest reason ever invented. It’s something people say when they have no other good excuse for what they’ve done.
- How do you stay together? I want to ask them, the same way I want to ask my happy parents, the same way I want to go up to old people and ask them, What is it like to live so long?
- How could I possibly explain that he’s the one my heart was made for? That’s how it feels- he’s the one my heart was made for.
- “Hard. It’s never been this hard. I know this is going to sound totally whacked, but before when we broke up, I was kind of okay with it, because I realized that she was better off without me. And maybe I was better off without her. But this time I don’t feel like she’s better off at all.”
- “They want to beat each other, and at the same time they secretly want to be each other. So they fight.”
- “You’re interfering!” I accuse. She bats an eyelash. “Of course I am. That’s what friends are for.”
- I could point out that he used to make me feel the same way, but I’ve already forgiven him for that. I could point out that it isn’t always easy knowing who you are and what you want, because then you have no excuse for not trying to get it.
- “Part of love is letting a person be who they want to be.”
- That conflict between what your heart knows is right and what your mind is told is right .
- I find my greatest strength in wanting to be strong. I find my greatest bravery in deciding to be brave.
- If there’s no feeling of fear, then there’s no need for courage. I think Tony has been living with his fear for all of his life. I think now he’s converting it to courage.
- “If you want to be loved, be lovable.”
- I WILL NOT HESITATE TO SAY WHO I LOVE.